Eng. Khaliif Muse Warsame
Dean,Faculty of Computer Science & IT
Faculty of Computer Science & IT
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Faculty of Computer Science and IT of Benadir University.
The Faculty of Computer Science and IT of Benadir University was established in 2003. Since then our students, faculty, staff, and alumni continue to contribute in significant ways to our reputation as a very strong faculty for the study of computing science. Generally, the Faculty has three Departments (Department of Computer Science, Department of Information Technology and Department of Business Information Technology). Our Faculty Focuses on Skills with Experience and Quality, which makes it possible for our alumni to become one of the most successful and most demanded Computer Science graduates throughout the world. We also offer Masters Program in close partnership with Makarere University in Uganda.
We at the Faculty of Computer Science and IT of Benadir University pride ourselves on many things. We take pride in our history as the second oldest faculty of Benadir University and the first Faculty to produce graduates in BU. We pride on our academic excellence, the relevance of our programs to the country and the beyond, and on the high demand for our graduates nationally and internationally. We take pride as well in our faculty and staff who are working to ensure that your journey with us is memorable and enjoyable.
Thank you for choosing our Faculty. You have decided to invest in us, and we take that very, very seriously. Hold us accountable to meeting your needs as you pursue your dream and we guide you to becoming a member of the IT profession.
Finally, the next few years will be a time of exciting challenges as well as academic and personal growth for you. We are here to help you overcome the challenges and obtain your degree.
Eng Khalif Muse Warsame
Dean, Faculty of Computer Science and IT
FACULTY OF COMPUTER SCIENCE AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Faculty of Computer Science and Information Technology (CIT) was established in 2003. A combination of highly qualified faculty members and state of the art facilities has established the faculty as one of the leading and prestigious Computer Science and Information Technology faculties in the country. The competency of the faculty is evident from the achievement of the alumni, who have created a brand value both in job sector and academia – in and outside of the country.
The Faculty is especially proud of the quality of its teaching methods and diversity of its computer equipment available for student’s use as it maintains a number of modern computer facilities.
Stay at the top of Computer Science and IT in Eastern Africa and towards world-class distinguished faculty in high quality teaching and research. So The Faculty of Computer Science & IT strives to continue to be the premier Faculty for whole computing technology in Somalia and to become internationally recognized for excellent education for students while contributing to national economy through research and transfer to industry.
To provide high quality education and prepare nationally qualified Computer Science and IT professionals so the mission of the Faculty of Computer Science & IT is to produce best quality Computer Science & IT Professionals by offering a broad-based education, encouraging life-long learning, fostering teamwork and leadership and promoting creativity and competitiveness. Furthermore, pursue creative research and new technologies in Computer Science and across disciplines in order to serve the needs of industry, government and society.
The Objectives of the Faculty of Computer Science & IT are to produce graduates who:
- Have strong fundamental knowledge in modern technology, scientific and computing principles
- Demonstrate the ability to design, develop, and integrate hardware and software components in digital systems in an effective and systematic approach.
- Have an appropriate knowledge and skills related to design and administration of database systems and computer networks
- Able problem-solving methods and techniques
- Engage in lifelong learning, enhance their knowledge, and advance their career in a world of evolving technology.
- Are equipped with the essential workplace skills of interpersonal communication, ethical and professional behavior, and team playing.
- Have skills and ability to pursue graduate studies and do research in computer science and IT and also related interdisciplinary areas
The most value aspect of Faculty of Computer Science and IT is problem solving, an essential skill for life. Students study the design, development and analysis of software and hardware used to solve problems in a variety of business, scientific and social contexts. Because computers solve problems to serve people, there is a significant human side to computer science as well.
So computing and computer technology are part of just about everything that touches our lives from the cars we drive, to the movies we watch, to the ways businesses and governments deal with us. Understanding different dimensions of computing is part of the necessary skill set for an educated person in the 21st century. Whether you want to be a scientist, develop the latest killer application, or just know what it really means when someone says ‘the computer made a mistake’, studying computing will provide you with valuable knowledge.
Generally, the Faculty has three Departments:
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Information Technology
- Department of Business Information Technology
We currently offer Bachelor of Science (B.Sc) in Computer Science and IT
We also offer Diploma Certificates in:
- Web design and development
- Networking and Computer hardware
- Graphic Design and Multimedia
- Software development
Computer Science and IT is a huge Course.
Here are some of the core subjects you would study Faculty of Computer Science & IT at Benadir University.
- Programming Languages
- Software Engineering
- Database Management
- Web Designing and Web Development
- Internet and System Security
- Graphics Design and Multimedia
- Project Management
We regularly conduct high quality Workshops, Seminars and symposiums
Most Faculty courses are taught in laboratory. So the lab is equipped with more 30 modern computers. The computers in this lab are upgraded and replaced on a regular basis to keep them up-to-date with the current state of technology. The lab also has a computer for the professor and a projector. To expose our students to multiple platforms, our workstations boot into both Windows and Linux operating systems. We understand that, in order to allow our students to succeed, we need to not only provide them with the best professors but also up-to-date equipment and facilities so:
- The Faculty has well-equipped laboratory with state-of-the-art computer hardware and software.
- The software facility at the Faculty includes popular operating system platforms, programming language compilers, development tools, DBMS packages, etc. Both free and proprietary software packages are used.
- The Faculty has a switched Fast Ethernet network connecting all nodes of the Lab through structured cabling
BU Main Campus: Km5, Zobe, Hodan, Mogadishu
Tel: +252615678538 / +252615258212