Prof. Mohamed Ali Sh. Abdi
Dean, Faculty of Agriculture
Faculty of Agriculture
Welcome to the Faculty of Agriculture. The faculty was established on August, 2008 and it is one of the main Faculties of Benadir University, dedicated to advance agricultural development through teaching, training, knowledge generation and providing consultation services to the Somali local farmers. The Faculty provides a number of vital courses in Agricultural Sciences to generate qualified personnel for the national/international agricultural organizations; and to cover the academic needs of agriculture as well as to review and solve the problems encountered by the farmers’ communities. A four-year B. Sc. programme in agricultural science is studied during the 4 year program.
The faculty has a well-equipped agricultural lab, 3 open farms and green house for practical training and research. There are semester based seminars and summer courses organized by the Faculty. We take great pride that our Faculty graduates secured jobs and post graduate studies. The academic year is divided into two semesters Spring (February/March) and autumn (August/September).
Prof. Mohamed Ali Sh. Abdi
Dean, Faculty of Agriculture, BU
The Faculty of Agriculture at Benadir University was established on 15 August 2008 to provide a number of vital courses in Agricultural Sciences to generate qualified personnel for the national/international agricultural organizations; and to cover the academic needs of agriculture as well as to review and solve the problems encountered by the farmers’ communities. A four-year B. Sc. programme in Agriculture science is studied during the four year.
The Faculty Academic Council (FAC), the Dean of the Faculty, the Secretary, well Qualified Academic Staff and their Assistants and other staff of the Faculty do their best to prepare a suitable and convincible academic environment for the students.
To be one of the leading centers of excellence for teaching, training, researches and the dissemination of knowledge in sustainable agriculture in east Africa
- To provide innovative teaching and services to the students and the local communities.
- To conduct demand-driven research and disseminate appropriate technologies to farmers and relevant policy-making institutions.
- To build bridge between agri-business and academia.
- To cover the academic gap of the agricultural sciences in Somalia.
- To generate well prepared and qualified agricultural Somali personnel and
- To review and solve the problems encountered by the Somali farmers.
TEACHING AND TRAINING FACILITIES
- 3 Open Farms
- Green house
- Well-equipped laboratory and
- Well -organized classes
The Faculty pursues its core objectives under six academic departments, namely:
- Department of Crop Protection
- Department of Crop Production
- Department of Animal Production
- Department of Agricultural Engineering
- Department of Soil Sciences
- Department of Agriculture Economics and Management